Sunday, April 11, 2010

Vintage Sunflower Quilt

I acquired this vintage sunflower quilt some time ago.   It is a gorgeous quilt with remarkable applique and hand quilting.  My first thought is that it was a Marie Webster design.  Marie Webster's patten appeared in a 1912 edition of Ladies Home Journal.  You can see a photograph of the Marie Webster Quilt by linking to the website of the Indianapolis Museum of Art.  http://www.imamuseum.org/art/collections/artwork/quilt-sunflower-marie-d-webster.  Marie Webster's quilt has some spider web shaped quilting.

If you look at the Marie Webster design, you can see that mine is different.  In particular, look at the stems.  After some searching, I found a quilt similar to mine on The Quilt Index.  Sunflower Quilt

It appears that my quilt is based upon a Mountain Mist pattern and was made sometime between 1930 and 1949.  Here is another similar quilt.  Sunflower Quilt

You'll note that my quilt does not have a border as do the two shown from The Quilt Index. 

Here are some additional photos of my quilt.  The quilting is in the designs of sunflowers and leaves. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting these beautiful photos of your quilt and also the research. I like your 'mountain mist' design very much as well. Marie Webster petals needed a 2 layer cuts of applique but I like how these leaves are separated a bit better where hers are not quite. Well, I am not a quilt designer haha..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I inherited the blocks to this very quilt from my aunt. I was pieced/appliqued by her mother-in-law we guessed in the 50's or 60's. I only have the border blocks and no fabric(muslin) for the inside rectangle. I am a quilter and would like to actually finish this. Thank you for your post. I don't know if you still monitor this blog. mkennard1@frontier.com
    March 12, 2016

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog